Birinjal or Egg plant - 1/4 kg
Carrots - 2
Small onions - 10 or Big onion 1
Tomatoes - 2
Tamarind - 1 small lime size
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Toor Dhal - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt as required
Ghee - 2 tablespoons
For masala powder:
Split channa dhal - 1/2 teasppon
Urad Dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies - 6
Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 2 sticks
Cardamon - 2
Sherreded coconut - 2 teaspoon
- Combine Rice and Toor dhal and pressure cook it with 4 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile fry all the ingredients in the "For the masala powder" list in a medium heat and grind to a fine powder.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 mins and extract the tamarind juice.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan and add cashews and fry for a minute then add lengthwise sliced onions and fry until onion turns brown.
- Now add the brinjals or diced eggplant and fry well. Add tomatoes and boiled carrots and fry until oil oozes out.
- Add the tamarind juice and masala powder and cook for 5 minutes until u get a good thick gravy.
- Open the pressure cooker and smash the rice slightly.
- Add the vegetable gravy and mix well with rice.